6.

Vampire Weekend
Contra

Initially I wasn’t keen on Vampire Weekend’s debut, but after a second try I discovered a great record which was both catchy and very unique. This year’s follow up, Contra, is every bit as good as the debut: it is packed full of great indie rock songs with all kinds of influences including reggae and big-band. I adore the speedy ‘Holiday’, the prog-laced ‘White Sky’ and the frenetic ‘Cousins’. It’s all brilliant fun. On its own merits, Contra probably would have broken the top five and even gotten close to the number one spot. The only thing that holds it back is that it is extremely similar to the first record. If I’d have heard Contra having not already heard and loved Vampire Weekend, then I’m sure I’d rate it higher. I do think this is just as good as its predecessor, but the fact that it’s similar and came second hurts it somewhat just by association. I think also the fact that I bought it in January is telling – that it still made top 6 is impressive for an album I’ve had for 11 and a half months – but if the list had been written in June it would’ve come 2nd... Overall, a fantastic follow up to a fantastic record. No complaints, but they’ll need to change it up a bit for album 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment